Tuesday, 2 December 2014

Week 5: Proofs and Limits

We had our first test for this course during this week. I don't know what I should say about this test because it's not hard but one of the question (last one) I wasn't expect that to be on the midterm... So I think I didn't do as good as I expected, but it is not so bad. Guess I REALLY need to work on that type of question now: I didn't do it well on the assignment, and I screwed it up on the test. Ah, this is frustrating...

Getting back to the topic of this week's material, so basically we are continuing the topic of proof this week. We learnt how to prove ∃ and Ɐ: we only need to find one thing that satisfies the statement in order to prove the "there exists" quantifier, and we need to assume some generic numbers for the "for all" quantifier. Also, we learnt some different ways of proofs: direct proof, proof by contradiction and proof by cases. In addition, we now know the importance of a definition to one proof: we will most likely have to use the definition given to prove the statement and there's no other way to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment