Monday, 1 December 2014

Week 4: Intro to Proofs

This week, we are starting to get a sense of proofs, which I believe is the main topic of this course.

We are just introduced to the structure pf the proof:
Introduce quantifiers, pick something for ∃ quantifier, then make use of transitivity of implications (in which P implies Q, and Q implies R is equivalent of saying P implies R) to prove the final statement which is usually an implication. These are all the easy parts, and the prof hasn't taught us the hard part which is how to figure a way to prove the final statement. Playing with those notations and finding a number that satisfying the condition that we need to prove is not my strong part, so I think I need to do some preview if I wanna do good on proofs.

In addition, our first midterm is coming up next week. I feel fortunate that we won't be tested on the proof stuff. However, I am still kind of nervous for this coming test since I did not start right from the beginning like others (see my first slog) and I feel that there's some kind of gap between the material I learnt later on in this course and the material that I learn by myself which is just the one that I've missed. But anyway good luck to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment